In the case of localised stains, and when the specific products for the cleaning of Alcantara are not available, the upholstery can be cleaned as follows.
For the specific treatment of the different types of stains and the relative materials that should be used, follow the instructions below.
- act immediately (within 30 minutes) and begin treating the stain from the outside edge into the centre in order to avoid the stain spreading;
- never pour a cleaning product directly onto Alcantara;
- before removing the stain, remove any of the substance that has fallen on the upholstery: if it’s thick (yoghurt, jam, etc.) use a spoon or a plastic spatula; for liquids, use non printed absorbent paper or a sponge;
- avoid rubbing to prevent the stain from spreading or going deep into the material;
- use a white cloth or a well wrung sponge for the removal of the stains;
- if you use a sponge, rinse it in clean water and wring it well between each wipe.
Recommended cleaning products are produced by the following manufacturers.
If the products listed are not available, it is recommended, depending on the type of stain, that you should use water, lemon juice, or pure ethyl alcohol (from liquors) and follow the instructions below:
Fruit juice, jam, jelly, syrup, ketchup: use lukewarm water, rinse by dabbing with clean water.
Blood, egg, excrement, urine: use cold water; avoid warm water because it makes these substances coagulate, rinse by dabbing with clean water.
Liquors, alcoholic beverages, wine, beer, coke and tea: use lukewarm water; if the colour mark remains, treat it with lemon juice and then rinse it well.
Indelible pencil, cocoa, chocolate, pastry with cream or chocolate, ice-cream, mustard: use lukewarm water; rinse by dabbing with clean water.
Vinegar, hair gel, tomato sauce, coffee with sugar: use lemon juice and then wipe with lukewarm water; rinse by dabbing with clean water.
STAINS NOT SOLUBLE IN WATER
lipstick, foundation, mascara, eye-shadow, perfume, shoe polish, oil and grease in general, grass stains and felt tips in general (including the indelible kind): rub with ethyl alcohol, then with water and rinse.
For grass stains and felt tips, which are quite difficult to remove, especially on light colours, it is necessary to act as soon as possible in order to prevent them from becoming too “dry”.
Chewing-gum and wax: put a plastic bag full of ice on the stain; when the material becomes hard remove the pieces and then treat with ethyl alcohol.
Repeat the above described treatments as often as necessary.
Even the stains that are not soluble in water often require to be treated afterwards with water.
OLD STAINS OF UNKNOWN ORIGIN
First of all treat with lukewarm water, then rinse by dabbing them with clean water. If you see that the stain begins to dissolve in the water, repeat the treatment as often as necessary; let it dry and, if necessary, treat with ethyl alcohol.
- Alcantara stain removal guide Download PDF